- Former Florida Attorney General
- Con to the question "Should People Who Have Completed Felony Sentences Be Allowed to Vote?"
“The campaign to automatically restore civil rights to nearly all felons upon release from prison, with no waiting period and no hearing to determine if those felons will go right back to a life of crime, is reckless and irresponsible….
The revolving-door effect of restoring felons’ rights only then to revoke them due to a new criminal offense would diminish the integrity of our democratic government and the rule of law. According to the Florida Department of Corrections, nearly 40 percent of offenders commit another crime within three years of release and 45 percent do so within five years….
Rather than automatically restore rights to violent repeat offenders, we should ensure fairness in the clemency process by immediately eliminating the backlog, as I previously proposed. But for Florida’s serious career criminals, this motto ought to apply: A person who breaks the law should not make the law.”
“McCollum: Be Responsible About Felons’ Rights,” Orlando Sentinel, Apr. 1, 2007
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- Partner, Public Policy and Regulation practice, Dentons
- Attorney General, State of Florida, 2006-2011
- Chairman, Board of Directors, Republican State Leadership Committee
- Chairman of the board and President, Health Florida Foundation
- Board member, American Security Council Foundation
- Member, Kiwanis Club of Orlando
- Board member, Enterprise Florida, 2009-2011
- Director, James Madison Institute, 2002-2010
- Board of Governors of the State University System, 2005-2006
- Member, Florida Domestic Security Advisory Panel, appointed by Gov. Jeb Bush, 2001
- Candidate, U.S. Senate, 2000
- Co-House Manager, impeachment trial of President Bill Clinton trial, 1998-1999
- Member, U.S. House of Representatives, 1981-2001
- Chairman, Seminole County Republican Party, 1976-1980
- Former Attorney, Judge Advocate General’s (JAG) Corps.
- U.S. Navy Reserves, retired at rank of Commander, 1969-1972
- U.S. Navy, 1969-1972
- JD, University of Florida, 1968
- BA, University of Florida, 1965
- None found
- Quoted in: