- Governor of Iowa
- Not Clearly Pro or Con to the question "Should Felons Who Have Completed Their Sentence (Incarceration, Probation, and Parole) Be Allowed to Vote?"
“When an individual commits a felony, it is fair they earn their rights back by paying restitution to their victim, court costs, and fines… Iowa has a good and fair policy on the restoration of rights for convicted felons, and to automatically restore the right to vote without requiring the completion of the responsibilities associated with the criminal conviction would damage the balance between the rights and responsibility of citizens…
Too often victims are forgotten and it is important victims of felonies and serious crimes receive their restitution.”
“Branstad, Reynolds Streamline Restoration of Voting Rights Application,” governor.iowa.gov, Dec. 28, 2012
- Theoretical Expertise Ranking:
Individuals with PhD's, JD's, or equivalent advanced degrees in fields relevant to felon voting issues. Also top-level government officials (such as foreign leaders, US presidents, Founding Fathers, Supreme Court Justices, members of legislative bodies, cabinet members, military leaders, etc.) with positions relevant to felon voting issues.
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- Governor of Iowa (Republican), Jan. 14, 2011-present
- Chair, National Governors Association
- Chair, Midwestern Governors Association
- Former Director, Cemen Tech Inc., Advanced Analytical Technologies, Inc., Liberty Bank FSB, and Conmed Healthcare Management, Inc.
- President, Des Moines University (DMU), Aug. 2003-Oct.2009
- Chair, President’s Commission on Excellence in Special Education, 2001-2002
- Former Partner, Kaufman, Pattee, Branstad & Miller (public policy firm)
- Former Founding Partner, Branstad and Associates, LLC
- Governor of Iowa (Republican), Jan. 13, 1983-Jan. 14, 1999
- Chair, Education Commission of the States, 1998
- Chair, Republican Governors Association, 1997
- Lieutenant Governor of Iowa, 1979-1983
- Member, Iowa House of Representatives, 1973-1979
- United States Army, active duty, 1969-1971
- JD, Drake University, 1974
- BA, University of Iowa, 1969
- Born in Leland, IA, Nov. 17, 1946
- He is married with three adult children and six grandchildren.
- Quoted in: